Most have heard of the worldwide famous electric car company Tesla. It did not take long for the business to introduce additional environmentally-friendly renewable energy sources in other forms. Part of the advancements include Tesla’s solar technology, but what is it?
Tesla solar technology includes solar panels, solar roof tiles, battery energy storage, and clean-energy products. The sun’s energy is harnessed through Tesla’s solar inventions and converted or stored for an eco-friendly way of powering buildings.
Have you been hearing more about the clean energy conversions that residential property owners and business operators are making? It is becoming quite widespread across the United States. Find out what Tesla solar technology is, the advantages and disadvantages of installation, and how much Tesla solar costs.
Tesla Solar Panel Technology
The prototypes of Tesla solar panel technology were announced by Elon Musk back in 2016. About a month later, Tesla bought SolarCity, which was the largest residential solar power company in the USA, for over $2 billion.
When SolarCity technologies merged with Tesla, the advanced solar panel technology was born. The solar products created by Tesla are all outfitted with silicon solar cells that turn sunlight into electricity for powering homes.
Here are a few of the items described from Tesla’s Solar Technology line:
|Product Type||Features||Benefits||Property Type|
|Solar Panels & Solar Roofs||Custom designed for the property||Can operate 0-100% on solar energy||Residential & Commercial|
|Megapack and Powerpack||Commercial-sized energy storage||Batteries for storing solar power on the largest scale||Commercial & Utility|
|Commercial solar||Renewable microgrids||Eliminates diesel and utility costs||Commercial & Industrial|
|Powerwall||Store energy||Power with 24/7 power outage protection||Residential|
All of the Tesla solar technology products are created with clean energy as the number one focus. Each is operated without burning fossil fuels, which have been shown to cause critical damages to the atmosphere. They are quiet, and the devices can power appliances for days without interruption.
Installing a Tesla Solar Technology System
Every product or system sold by Tesla solar is customized for the customer. Before a solar roof or any solar panels can be installed, a representative from the company talks customers through their process of:
- Design: Including a custom solar panel plan for the property created through 3D modeling and aerial images
- Removal of the Old Roof: The old roof is torn off (for complete solar roof installations only)
- Waterproofing Service: A layer of protective coating is applied to the solar panels to ensure they are safe from outside weather elements
- Installation of Tiles: Professional solar panel contractors complete the solar roof or panel installation.
Unique to Tesla’s solar technology is the sleek, low-profile appearance. The company guarantees a 25-year longevity power supply of the roof after installation.
What Size Does Tesla Offer for Solar Technology?
The Tesla solar division provides a starting point of 4 kilowatts and increases in the same 4 kW increment up to 16 kW. Various properties require different amounts of energy to run effectively on solar power, either in part or entirety.
The systems available include:
|Number of Panels||Solar Size||Roof Area Covered||Power Rating|
|12||Small||240 sq feet||4.08 kW|
|24||Medium||480 sq feet||8.16 kW|
|36||Large||720 sq feet||12.24 kW|
|48||Extra Large||860 sq feet||16.32 kW|
Most homes require between 28 to 34 solar panels. However, you always have the option of only partially operating on solar energy and keeping your current electricity connected to work in conjunction with the cleaner power source.
The Pros and Cons of Installing a Tesla Solar Roof
Like with all advancements, solar technology from Tesla has positives and negatives. Take a look at a few of the most common features discussed.
- Cost: While the initial installation is much more than a traditional asphalt roof, the 25-year warranty and return on investment in energy savings suggest that it will pay for itself throughout the time it is still converting energy.
- Appearance: Unlike other solar panels on the market that look clunky, Tesla solar technology panels are sleeker. They do not fade as quickly as other options, and in terms of solar energy, most believe they add curb appeal and increase property value.
- Conversions: Reports indicate that only about 25% of households in the country are set up in ways that can actually receive the most solar energy. Depending on where the property is located and how it is positioned, customers may not get the full power required or expected after a solar panel installation.
- Serviceability: Tesla solar technology has not quite reached all the areas in the United States yet. So, not every location has a solar power contractor capable of working on a Tesla designed system that malfunctions or requires service.
- Availability: Tesla solar technology has been slow to roll out. It may take up to two years or longer to get a service done after the initial evaluation and ordering process has occurred.
Before considering Tesla’s solar technology, it is imperative to weigh out the pros and cons of your situation precisely.
How Much Does Tesla Solar Technology Cost?
The cost of Tesla solar technology is on the more expensive side compared to some of the other solar energy companies out there. Take a look at this table to get a better understanding of what Tesla solar technology charges are:
|Solar Panel Cost (Before Tax Rebates)||Size of Tesla Solar System|
You can get a more exact figure of your system designed specifically for your location by creating it with a Tesla representative. Prices vary from state to state, and different products may be necessary for a particular solar system.
Tax Rebates for Tesla Solar Technology
Tesla solar technology solar panels and solar roofs can be included on federal tax returns as of 2021. The government is paying residents and business owners that switch to solar, regardless if it is Tesla or not, up to 22% of the original cost back in a solar tax rebate.
Take off the tax incentives provided by the federal government in 2021, and your final cost will look more like this:
|Solar Panel Cost (After Tax Rebates)||Size of Telsa Solar System|
The incentive is expected to run out at the end of the year unless Congress decides to renew it.
Is There Financing Available for Tesla Solar Technology?
Tesla does offer financing options for their solar roof installations. The availability is based on credit. Of course, there are other ways of getting a Tesla solar technology installation without using their financing solutions, including:
- Home equity loan
- Second mortgage
- Personal loans
- Credit card
Customers interested in Tesla solar technology should get a quote for their customized solar system first. No two projects are the same, so each final cost is specific to the property and products required.
The electric car company, Tesla, purchased the largest residential solar panel provider in America, and Tesla solar technology was produced. Solar energy for homes and businesses is expected to become more prevalent in the country and around the globe in the upcoming years.
Switching to solar energy is without a doubt the more eco-friendly option. Property owners must decide if it is worth the cost through calculations of electricity savings and power usage. You must also determine if it is a home improvement that can be budgeted for.