The Buckeye State has a lot of sunshine. Despite its cold winters, it still gets a fair amount of sun throughout the year. Solar panels, if widely used in Ohio, could generate 35 percent of the electricity for the state. Tesla solar panels are efficient at getting the most out of a location’s sunshine.
Currently, in Ohio, fewer than half of one percent of residents use solar energy. However, the state is a great candidate for solar energy. Tesla offers its solar services in Ohio, and solar panels would be a great addition for Ohio homes.
There are a lot of factors in understanding Tesla solar panels and solar energy in Ohio, including availability, installation, and price. Read on to discover more about Tesla solar panels, solar energy in Ohio, and the benefits of solar in the Buckeye State.
Pro Tip: Ordering Tesla Solar? Save $100 instantly by using a Tesla referral link from another Tesla owner.
What You Need to Know About Tesla Solar Panels
Before looking at how Tesla solar panels work in Ohio, it is important to know about Tesla. Tesla has been around for a while, but it began its solar production back in 2016. Since then, the company has become one of the main voices in the solar conversation across the country.
They offer two types of solar applications for your home. The first is called a Solar Roof. A Solar Roof is a literal replacement for your roof. The tiles on the roof are the solar cells. The second is the more commonly seen solar application: solar panels.
Solar panels are different from Solar Roofs in that they do not replace the home’s roof. Instead, they are mounted atop the roof with metal frames. The frames for Tesla solar panels are made from anodized aluminum. This is a strong metal that is fastened securely to the roof of your home and holds the solar panels in place.
When thinking about Tesla solar panels, you may wonder about a few aspects of the product. These aspects can include:
- How the solar panels work
- The solar panel installation
- The Tesla Gateway
- Maintaining the solar panels
- The cost of Tesla solar panels
Solar panels are efficient producers of energy for your home. In Ohio, Tesla can be a great resource for powering your home. Looking at the above-mentioned aspects will help you make a better, well-rounded decision that best benefits you.
How the Solar Panels Work
Solar panels are gaining popularity across the United States. You have seen them as you have driven around your neighborhood. Yet, how do the solar panels work? Tesla’s solar panels include four main components. These components are what make the solar panel system efficient and operational.
The four main components of the Tesla solar panel system are below.
- Solar panels: The solar panels are made from photovoltaic cells. These cells trap the energy from the sun. The cells then convert that energy into the electricity that will be used to power your home.
- Tesla inverter: The solar panel system from Tesla comes with an inverter. This inverter converts the energy into usable energy for your home. The energy must be converted into AC energy to power your home. The inverter then distributes the electricity into the home.
- Tesla Gateway: The Tesla Gateway is a small box similar to an internet router. It takes the information from the inverter and supplies it to the mobile app so that you can monitor the effectiveness of your system.
- Tesla app: The final component of the Tesla solar panel system is the Tesla app, which can be installed onto your phone. This app takes the information from the Gateway for you to see. You monitor your system through the app, so you will know when something happens that should not.
The system will shut off at night. Since there is no sunshine during the night hours, the system cannot generate any power. Instead, it will shut off, and your electricity will switch to the grid. During this time, your electric utility meter will run as it did before you got the solar panels.
However, Tesla also offers a unit called a Powerwall. The Powerwall stores surplus energy during the day to use at night. If you use the Powerwall, you would be completely independent of the grid’s energy.
The Solar Panel Installation
Once you have decided to get a Tesla solar panel in Ohio, it is time to get it installed. However, what does the installation process look like? Generally, the installation process of the Tesla solar panels in Ohio will last one to two days. It is a fairly quick process.
Before the installation process begins, you have to prepare your home. You do this by completing the following steps:
- Get approval from the Homeowner’s Association (if this applies to your area).
- Clear your cars from the driveway, as the Tesla workers need that area.
- Ensure no other contractors or workers are present while the solar panels are being installed. Make sure you schedule the installation on a day when the property will be vacant of all outside workers.
- Ensure someone at least 18-years-old is present at the beginning of the installation process.
Once the installation process begins, it goes relatively quickly. The Tesla workers will secure the aluminum frames to the roof and attach the solar panels. Furthermore, they will attach all the necessary wirings and hook it all up to your electrical unit.
During the installation process, the power to your home will have to be turned off from anywhere between one to eight hours, depending on the project. Larger projects, and solar panel systems that include the Powerwall, will have the power off longer.
Solar Panels Need to Be Inspected
Once the solar panels have been installed in your home, you still need to get them inspected by Tesla in Ohio before you can get permission to operate from your utility.
The inspection process is relatively simple. A technician will come to your home and inspect the entire system. They will then work with your utility company to get permission to operate. This process can take up to six weeks.
Once your utility company signs off on the permission to operate, Tesla will contact you. Your system will then be ready to use.
When you get a Tesla solar panel system in Ohio, you will also receive the Tesla Gateway, which is connected to the inverter of your system. The Tesla Gateway is an important component of the system. It is what allows you to monitor the productivity of your solar panels, which is useful to detect any issues that may arise.
If you discover that your Gateway is not working properly, there are steps to troubleshoot the issue.
- To troubleshoot your Gateway, you can start by unplugging it and trying a different outlet. Sometimes this is all it takes.
- If this does not work, then you can try using a different ethernet cable or placing the Gateway directly next to the internet router to try and reconnect the signal.
- If disconnecting and reconnecting the Gateway does not work, you need to call Tesla. There may be something wrong with the Gateway or with your system.
It is important to monitor both the inverter and the Gateway once you have your Tesla solar panels in Ohio.
Maintaining the Tesla Solar Panels
Maintaining the Tesla solar panels is important. You want to get the most out of your solar panels. The warranties on Tesla solar panels last 25 years. This means that the system is guaranteed to last for over two decades.
However, for your solar panel system to last that long you need to be consistent with your maintenance. Luckily, Tesla solar panels are relatively low maintenance.
The weather in Ohio can vary greatly throughout the year. Winter can get very cold and snowy. The materials that the Tesla solar panels are made from can withstand these weather events. However, you still need to take care of them.
- Clear away snow. Generally speaking, most snow will slide off the solar panels on their own because of the angle of the roof. However, there may be times where there is significant snow accumulation on your roof. In this case, you should clear the snow away to avoid potential damage.
- Wash with water. Dust and pollen build up over time. These elements, along with leaves, can damage the solar panels or block solar energy absorption. It can cause micro-cracks and hot spots, which can affect the efficiency of the system. Using a hose, you can easily wash away these contaminants.
- Monitor the system. The Tesla app exists to help you maintain your solar panels. If there is ever a dip in efficiency or productivity, you would see it on the app. The app provides you with statistics and diagnostic information regarding your system. It allows you to catch an issue before it becomes major.
Maintaining the Tesla solar panel system is not difficult. You do not have to worry about it every day, either. A few times a year is all that is necessary to ensure your system is maintained. If anything major does happen, it is covered by warranty, and there are Tesla technicians who can come and check your system for you.
The Cost of Tesla Solar Panels
The cost of Tesla solar panels falls in the national average for solar panels, though it can go above the national average depending on a few factors. In Ohio, the average cost for Tesla solar panels falls between $8,000 and $32,000.
Why the big range? It depends on the wattage and amount of solar panels you buy. For example, if you have 12 solar panels that are generating about 10 to 15 kWh a day, then you would be on the lower end of the cost range.
However, if you have a larger home that requires more energy, you will likely have far more solar panels installed. For example, for the higher end of the range, you could have upward of 48 solar panels producing 48 to 59 kWh of energy a day. This could easily put you over $32,000.
Some incentives can lower this price, but it is important to calculate your costs beforehand. Each home is different, so understanding how much you will have to pay is important. You need to take a look at your home and determine what exactly best fits your needs.
Does Tesla Offer Discounts on Solar?
Tesla solar panels are already the lowest price solar panels on the market, but are there any other ways to save money when ordering?
In short, the only way to get a discount on Tesla solar panels is by using an existing Tesla owners “referral link” when ordering your Tesla solar panels.
Tesla has did this same “referral program” concept with it’s vehicles and essentially it allows new customers to get a discount on their purchase by using an existing customers personal referral link.
In regards to Tesla solar discounts, using a Tesla referral link when ordering will save you $300 off solar panels or $500 off solar roof.
The referral discounts are typically only available for a limited time before Tesla stops offering the discount, so take advantage of the savings while you can.
Solar Energy in Ohio
So, why are Tesla solar panels important for Ohioans? Tesla solar panels are an efficient energy alternative. There is a lot of untapped potential for solar energy in Ohio, so taking advantage of the Tesla solar panels is worth considering.
In Ohio, if everyone used solar panels, solar could generate 35 percent of the total electricity needed for the state. That is quite a large amount. However, this resource is currently mostly untapped. For example, in 2018, only 0.26 percent of the state’s electricity was generated via solar.
Likewise, in 2018, only 28,000 homes in Ohio had solar panels. Now, this number has risen in the last few years, but it still has a large area for growth. Tesla solar panels are trying to help with that.
There are several reasons why Tesla solar panels are advantageous to have in Ohio. Consider these facts regarding solar energy in Ohio:
- Ohio ranks 28th with solar implementation. This means that there is a market for solar panels in Ohio. Tesla wants to expand there.
- The price of solar panels in Ohio has fallen 32% in the last five years. This is very important to note. What was once even more expensive years ago is becoming more affordable with each passing year.
- The average cost is around $10,000 to $12,000 in Ohio. While the prices can range from $8,000 up to $32,000, most Ohioans will find that their homes fit between $10,000 and $12,000.
Tesla solar panels in Ohio are cost-effective. They help power your home while also saving you money.
Going solar in Ohio means you are cost-effective. Tesla solar panels are no exception. While it depends on the size and wattage of your solar panel system, you will save money.
The initial costs of a Tesla solar panel system may seem high. However, consider this: the average payback time for a solar panel system in Ohio is roughly five to seven years. This means that your initial investment will have paid off within seven years of purchasing the solar panel system.
Why is this important? It is known that solar panels help you save on your electric bill. However, when people see the initial startup costs associated with solar, they may believe that it does not save them money. However, this is not true.
With the money you will save on your electric bill after the payback period is completed, you will “make” money instead of losing it. For example, in Ohio, throughout the lifespan of your Tesla solar panels (which is about 25 years), you can expect to save around $40,000 to $50,000. That is a significant amount.
Tax Incentives in Ohio
Since solar energy is so important in the 21st century, there are many tax incentives to get people to want to make the switch.
Tax incentives are important to consider because they lower the initial price of the solar panel system. For example, there is a nationwide wide federal tax incentive for switching to solar energy. It is currently at 22 percent. However, this tax incentive will be eliminated by 2022. After 2022, only a 10 percent credit will be available.
Ohio declared that it is dedicated to having 12.5 percent of its energy come from solar by 2027. To do this, they have implemented a system called Solar Renewable Energy Certificates, or SRECs.
SRECs are granted for each megawatt of energy that is produced via solar. You can then take the SREC and sell it. In Ohio, these sold for around $15. It may seem small, but over time it can add up. It is another incentive to switch to solar in Ohio.
Additionally, you can apply for the Energy Conservation for Ohioans Program. If accepted, you will be eligible for a 3 percent tax reduction for seven years. This fits perfectly into the payback time needed for Tesla solar panels.
Financing Your Tesla Solar Panels
Tesla offers financing loans for their solar panels, and this is also true in Ohio. This is an effective way to switch to solar. By financing your Tesla solar panels, you are making it easier to pay for through a pre-approved loan.
To finance your Tesla solar panels in Ohio, you need to follow the five steps of the financing process.
- First, you need to apply for a financing loan. To do this, you go to your Tesla account, and you select the loan term you wish to have. You will then have to fill out a credit application.
- Second, you will be approved by your lender. However, it is important to note that your lender may not approve the entire amount. They may only decide to approve a portion of the total. However, the lender will communicate this to you upon approval. Any remaining money must be paid to Tesla upon installation.
- Third, your lender may contact you for additional documents to resolve stipulations that may be issued.
- Fourth, once the stipulations are resolved, and everything is approved, Tesla is contacted and will begin the installation. If there is a remaining balance, Tesla will contact you so you may pay it before the installation begins.
- Finally, once the solar panel system is installed on your roof, the lender is notified and will begin to disburse the loan to Tesla.
Financing your Tesla solar panels in Ohio is another incentive to make the switch to solar energy. With all the benefits that come with solar energy, plus all the room for growth in Ohio, it is an important decision to consider.
The Benefits of Tesla Solar Panels in Ohio
Tesla solar panels are very efficient energy producers. In Ohio, there is a lot of sunshine. Of course, other parts of the country get more sun. However, this does not mean that the benefits of solar panels are not available to Ohioans.
Solar panels are environmentally friendly and cost-effective. They are aesthetically pleasing, too. Many will worry that solar panels will “ruin” the look of their home. However, Tesla solar panels are black-on-black units. This means that, while they are raised off the roof by the aluminum frame, they blend in well with the color of the roof.
What other benefits come from Tesla solar panels? There are several to look at when considering whether solar is right for you.
- Lower electric bills
- Savings and earnings
- A green alternative
- Property value
These benefits are long-lasting. When you switch to solar, these benefits are just temporary. The solar panels will continue to provide you with benefits throughout their lifespan, which is quite long.
Tesla solar panels are very efficient units. They can be used to power either part or all of your home. You have a lot of control over how you utilize your Tesla solar panels. Moreover, Tesla solar panels are efficient at using the energy they capture from the sun.
For example, during the day, when it is really sunny, the solar panels can capture surplus energy. If you are using a Powerwall, this surplus energy will get stored there. This means that at night you can still benefit from the solar panels despite it being dark outside.
Many people think that solar panels do not generate any energy when it is cloudy or stormy out, but this is not true. Even when it is cloudy outside, the solar panels are functioning. While it will not be nearly as much energy as on a clear and sunny day in Ohio, it is still a fair amount of energy that will positively affect your electric bill.
The only time when the solar panels will not be generating energy is at night and during very dark and stormy days when almost no sunlight is reaching the solar cells.
Lower Electric Bills
The average electric bill in Ohio is around $117. This number can be dramatically slashed and even eliminated entirely with Tesla solar panels.
Tesla solar panels can lower or eliminate your electric bills because the electricity it provides your home is independent of the grid. Therefore, your meter does not count toward the utility company.
Additionally, if you use the Powerwall to store surplus energy from the solar panels, you can continue to be off the grid even at night. If you do not use the Powerwall, your home will switch back to the grid at night. This, however, would still drastically alter your monthly electric bill in Ohio.
Savings and Earnings
Tesla solar panels in Ohio help save you money and help earn you money, too. This is by design. You save money in the following ways:
- Solar panels are off the grid. Because solar panels work independently, they do not rely on the grid to power your home. Therefore, you save money on your electric bill.
- Tax incentives. As mentioned, tax incentives help reduce the amount of money you have to pay upfront. While the costs to install solar panels may seem high even after the tax incentives, once the payback period is completed, the savings turn into net earnings.
Likewise, the money you save turns into the money you earn with solar panels. Consider the lifespan of the Tesla solar panels. They have a warranty that is good for twenty-five years. In that time, Tesla guarantees the solar panels will work and benefit you.
Of course, the efficiency over time will diminish, but within those 25 years, it will still work to a high level. Moreover, most of the time, you will not be paying money for the solar panels. Instead, you will be saving money from not paying the electric bill, which can add up to $50,000 in some instances.
A Green Alternative
Solar panels offer a green alternative for your energy consumption. Tesla solar panels do not emit any dangerous toxins into the air. There are no emissions. Instead, you have a clean energy source in Ohio.
This not only benefits you, but it benefits those around you. It creates a cleaner footprint in the atmosphere. This is one of the main benefits of going solar in Ohio and across the country. It is important to make a positive impact on the world around you. Solar panels offer a way to do that while also benefiting you financially.
Moreover, solar energy is renewable. It will always be around. Since it will always be around, you do not have to worry about running out. This, paired with the other benefits, make it a very important alternative to consider in Ohio.
Tesla solar panels will raise the property value. Solar panels can raise the property value of your home by up to 4.1 percent, which is a significant margin, especially if you are looking to sell your home someday.
This means that when you sell your home, you will get more for it. People want homes with solar panels. Therefore they will pay top dollar for it.
Tesla solar panels can be transferred to the new owner. For example, if you are only five years into the lifespan of the Tesla solar panels, you can transfer the payments to the new owner. You will have to pay the final cycle in which you were living on the property, but afterward, it transfers to the new owner.
This process is not difficult. If you do not intend to sell your property, that is okay, too. It is important to remain cognizant, however, of how the solar panels affect your property.
As mentioned earlier, Tesla solar panels are low-maintenance. During a year, you should clean them at least a couple of times, but more than that is probably not necessary.
In other words, you do not have to worry about your system. It is a low-stress investment. It will continue to work at an efficient rate without much upkeep. This is because the materials that Tesla uses to make their solar panels are very durable.
The solar panels themselves are covered in tempered glass, which is an incredibly hard material, so it can withstand various forms of weather. If anything were to happen, your solar panels are covered by warranty, so all you would need to do is call up Tesla and have them come down to check out the issue.
Ohio is a state that receives lots of sunlight, despite its cold winters. In fact, cold winter weather can often strengthen the efficiency of solar panels. This makes Ohio a great place to begin your journey toward solar energy. Tesla does not yet service all states, but Ohioans are able to receive Tesla products already.
With the many tax incentives, there is no better time than now to begin using renewable energy in the home.