Their newest creation, the Tesla truck, is slated to come out late this year and expectations for the truck are sky-high. The new Tesla’s new futuristic off-roader will be able to take on many different challenges, but what will this truck be capable of?
The Cybertruck won’t go underwater, but it’s still capable of hitting the seas. Company CEO Elon Musk said the electric Cybertruck will “float” for a while. The truck also features a cutting-edge dynamic suspension that will make for a totally different off-road experience.
It sounds like something out of a James Bond movie or a scene from Tron. But if you’re familiar with Tesla motors, you’ll know that some of their sedans are able to float, the vehicle can thrust through water by thrusting its wheels and there’s a large battery pack at the bottom of the vehicle that helps it float.
How Is an Electric Vehicle Able to Float?
While the Telsa truck won’t be able to turn into a super cool battleship, it still has some use in water. Back in June 2016, a video surfaced online of a Tesla Model S floating through a flooded tunnel, which raised some eyebrows about what a Tesla can do.
When non-electric cars get stuck in water, their exhausts and engines become flooded, electric cars don’t suffer from that issue. Surprisingly, electric cars can still function for a short period of time.
You may be saying to yourself “Hmm, an electric car in water, that surely won’t mix.” Tesla uses a skateboard configuration, meaning the batteries and the motors are protected from the bottom. Until the car itself fills up with water they should be safe, thus most moving parts will continue to work and it can become buoyant.
- Tesla puts its cars through rigorous tests, including flood testing to see if the car can withstand that type of damage.
- If caught in a tough situation, the car’s wheels essentially turn into oars by rotating its wheels back and forth in a flood or high water situation.
- Even with its capabilities, Musk does not recommend using the vehicle as a boat, but if you get in a scary predicament, the vehicle is able to float for a short period of time.
While it does sound cool to take your car in a large body of water, the likelihood of your insurance company covering any damages to you taking your car through flooded bodies of water is slim to none.
So, it’s better to not risk it.
Off-Road Capabilities of the Tesla Cybertruck
Another highlight about this new Cybertruck is its off-road abilities and design. The exterior of the car looks like something out of a Jetsons episode or a spacecraft from Star Trek. And Musk wanted the Tesla truck to completely change the way trucks take on off-roading.
But the looks and design aren’t the only things impressive about this truck, it also has features that make it an off-road icon:
- The cyber truck uses a self-leveling suspension.
- The bed of the truck is similar to a pickup truck. It has up to 3,500 pounds of payload capacity and adjustable air suspension. The suspension can be raised up to four inches.
- It comes with 100 cubic feet of lockable exterior storage, including a tonneau cover that is strong enough to stand on. Storage space is big enough to hold toolboxes and even sleeping bags for extended outdoor trips.
- Features a bulletproof exoskeleton body, armored glass for protection.
- A built-in light bar providing better visibility for dark or off-road trails.
When Tesla first unveiled the truck, it was set to be 231.7 inches (19.3 ft) long, 79.8 inches (6.6 ft) wide, and 75 inches (6.2 ft) tall. But it has since gone under a three percent reduction in size before it goes into production, according to Musk.
The Cybertruck also has a four-wheel drive that will have the technology to manage the power output and traction of the factory 35-inch tires.
Telsa plans to unveil three different models of the truck. A single-motor, a rear-wheel drive-based model is capable of towing up to 7,500 pounds. And the triple-motor, four-wheel drive is able to pull 14,000 pounds.
Musk hinted on Twitter that Tesla plans to test the truck in Baja, which is a Mexican off-road sports race held every year at the Baja California peninsula. That will definitely put it through a rigorous test!
Off-Roading Tips for the Tesla Cybertruck
After reading about all the cool specs of the Tesla truck, I’m sure you can’t wait to go off-roading and put that bad boy to the test.
But if you plan to buy a Tesla truck and take it off-road, you’ll need to keep a few things in mind:
- Figure out what type of trails you want to hit: You can go on light trails, dry trails, and even mud trails. Pre-planning and doing research are crucial to a safe and successful trip. Find trails like state and national parks which are good for dry ground off-roading.
- Make sure you have the right equipment with you: It’s essential to bring items like a shovel, spare water, chargers, tire jacks, spare tires, tow rope, and a first aid kit. Off-roading can get dangerous; you don’t want to be stuck in a situation without those things.
- Think about finding an off-roading community: Try to find a group of folks who are pros at off-roading that can show you a few things before you hit the road. You’re not going to learn off-roading overnight, so why not learn with a group of pros
Other Notable Features of the Cybertruck
Even though the truck is twice the size of most models, the Tesla truck will have many of the same self-automation features.
All the vehicles will have a Tesla autopilot feature and hardware components for a fully autonomous operation. The EPA range for the truck will be around 500 miles depending on the truck configuration, much.
And like its other models, the truck will be able to go real fast despite its size.
Tesla claims the two-wheel-drive model will fly from zero to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds. The triple-motor Tesla is claimed to reach 60 mph in just 2.9 seconds, which is just ridiculous.
Inside the truck, there will be a 17-inch display with bench seating for up to six passengers. The rear middle seat can fold down allowing for more cargo to be loaded from the cab throughout the truck.
To give it an even more futuristic look, the seats will have lighting strips
The roof of the truck is made from transparent armor glass, which makes for a fancy sunroof. And the exterior features a functional wraparound rock rail, that will protect passenger doors and the rails also act as a step for passengers.
It’s no doubt that the Tesla Cybertruck will be like something we’ve never seen. All of their other cars have already shaken the market and now it’s time for Musk and his company to get their hands in the truck industry.
So, if you decide to purchase the new Tesla truck, get ready to be a part of something special and have the most popular car on your block.