Driving is a large part of people’s lives. With regular driving comes regular maintenance. You might encounter a flat tire on the road. This is true even for electric vehicles, like the Tesla Model S. However, this is becoming less and less of a problem. Tesla has taken the plunge into breaking from tradition and heading into the future. If you look for a Tesla Model S spare tire, you will not find it.
The Tesla Model S, like other Tesla models, does not have a spare tire. Tesla decided to do away with its spare tire for a multitude of reasons. While this is initially a cause for confusion, Tesla handles its repairs and tire manufacturing in such a way that spare tires are not necessary.
How do they handle the inevitability of having a flat tire out on the road? What measures has Tesla taken to keep its customers from being stranded? The innovative car company has actually come up with some great ideas to keep people out of trouble, read on to find out exactly what?
What to Do If You Get a Flat Tire in a Tesla?
For drivers all over the world, flat tires are a nuisance. If you are not prepared for a flat, it can present even more of a problem. Tesla put its people on the task of figuring out how to get around this issue and came up with quite a few ideas.
Tesla has so much faith in its methods that they completely removed the spare tire from the Tesla S model. Here is a look at some of the methods that they use in place of a spare tire. These explain why the lack of spare tires might not be such an issue after all.
- Tesla has engineered its tires to be able to handle the stress of wear and tear much better.
- Tesla has also put in a feature that warns you far ahead of time when your tire pressure is getting low.
- If you do end up with a flat, they have 24/7 roadside assistance available.
Tesla has focused heavily on making its tires as safe, reliable, and as long-lasting as possible. The tires that they make can be a bit pricey, they are worth it due to the added performance and the knowledge that they are made specifically for the car.
What Help Does Tesla Offer Customers?
Tesla also has a few programs that work like fail-safes to keep people from being stranded with no help.
First, there is the self-explanatory 24/7 roadside assistance service that allows you to be picked up with your car anywhere. This special roadside assistance is necessary because Teslas cannot be towed like normal cars. They require a flatbed truck for transport. This service has been reported as hit and miss according to who you have to deal with.
There is also the very unique loan a tire service where they loan an available tire to people that gets returned when the damaged tire is fixed.
It is also a good idea to look into the best ways to take care of your tires and make sure they have a long healthy life on the road.
- Making sure the tire pressure stays around an acceptable 35 to 45 psi will go a long way towards keeping your tire healthy and serviceable.
- Avoid any sidewall damage as this is not repairable.
- Do regular alignment checks to keep the stress on your tires at a minimum.
Neglecting these maintenance duties can lead to some issues that may leave you stranded and can be a very expensive mistake. Having to buy all new tires can cost you upwards of $1,500.
Why Did Tesla Do Away with the Spare Tire?
Tesla took a long look at the very idea of a spare tire and determined it an unnecessary accessory in its vehicles. Through its programs focused on dealing with flat tires, they have almost completely eliminated the need for having a spare tire in the car itself.
There are a few different reasons Tesla has chosen to forego the standard-issue spare tire:
- Tesla wanted to remove the weight of the spare from the model s to optimize its performance.
- Spare tires were deemed unnecessary due to the different programs Tesla had put in place to prevent flat tires as a problem.
- Tesla realized that most of the time when a car’s lifespan was up, the spare tire was still unused and stayed with the old vehicle, rendering it wasted.
It seems as though the spare tire is becoming more and more obsolete as time and technology advances. With the spare tire going mostly unused and many reputable companies following Tesla’s no spare tire lead, it seems the world agrees in moving on with new ways to solve flat tires.
You Can Still Get a Spare Tire
While Tesla has put a lot of thought into making spare tires obsolete, they have not gotten rid of spare tires completely. You can still purchase some kits made by Tesla. They have spare tire kits that come with everything that you need to change a flat.
These kits can be a bit on the expensive side, but they are worth it if you are someone who wants the peace of mind that comes with having a spare tire for your Model S. You will get that added safety net to keep from being stranded.
Tesla Customer Feedback on Flat Tire Services
The programs such as loan-a-tire and 24/7 roadside assistance are the cornerstones that allow Tesla drivers the option of going without a spare tire. It is safe to say that it is very important that these programs are top-notch.
Users have reported many different things after getting flats and calling for one of these services. The reviews themselves are mixed all over the board. Here are a few problems reported:
- Some users have reported being left stuck when there is no company open or available. Some even reported having to sleep in their cars overnight.
- There seem to be quite a few people who have problems getting their Tesla tires looked at due to shops not wanting to interact with Tesla vehicles.
- There have been reviews stating that sometimes it takes days to get their car looked at by Tesla.
- There seems to be a large consensus that the loaner wheel service is almost always unavailable.
It would seem that there are a lot of bugs to work out of the system. You could easily imagine yourself in one of these reviewers’ positions stranded with no way to get home. There have also been great reviews from people who say that they have had nothing but excellent experiences with the company.
So, where is the Tesla Model S spare tire? Tesla has made the decision to completely do away with it. With all its programs and continuing work towards making flat tires a non-issue, it would seem that driving your Model S without a spare tire is not the worst thing. Tesla seems to really try to look after its customers in this situation.
However, if someone believed they were going to be in an area that they really cannot get stuck in, then it may be a good idea to invest in a spare tire kit. Every once in a while the programs fail. They simply cannot help you when nothing is open nearby. Ultimately, you have the option of opting for a spare tire kit if you are more comfortable keeping one on hand in the case of an emergency.