Many people are interested in installing a Tesla solar roof, and there is some confusion surrounding it. To help clear up some of the confusion of the process, look no further.
You will order your Tesla solar roof online from the Tesla company, and then you will receive the total price. You will have a home visit from a Tesla agent, and then you will find a time and date for the installation. The installation method will be an average of one week.
Many people are interested in installing a solar roof but have multiple questions about what will happen during the installation process. Knowing the answer to these questions will help a person decide if a solar roof is right for them. We will explain this and more in the rest of this article.
Breaking Down the Solar Roof Installation Process
So, you are interested in purchasing a Tesla solar roof. You may be unsure about what the process looks like, so here is a more thorough breakdown of what will be happening.
- Decide on your roof. Before you can start helping the economy, you need to purchase your roof online.
- Home visit. Confirmation will take place to make sure you are receiving the roof of your dreams, and then a person from Tesla will visit your home to make sure everything is ready for installation. Then, Tesla will reach out to you about what time and date you would like to have your solar roof installed.
- Time to get your roof. When installation day finally arrives, be sure that everything is out of the way so that the workers will not have anything in their way. It will typically be a week before your solar roof is ready to be used, but this time frame can differ depending on how large your home is.
- Get the Tesla App. This allows you to control a variety of settings right from your fingertips. Technology is amazing!
Common Questions Associated with Tesla Solar Roofs
You have decided that you want to go with a Tesla Solar Roof and you have just received a quick rundown of how the installation process will go, but you still have a few questions. You are not alone! It is important to know as much as possible before the installation process begins. Check out this list of questions below and see if you may share the same ones.
- What if I decide to cancel? Your solar roof order can be canceled, and a refund is possible. There is a maximum of one week that you can wait until the cancellation deadline has passed. The installers will come to your home preparing to install what you have designed and ordered, so if you are going to cancel, be sure to do so quickly.
- What do I need to do before the solar roof is installed? Before installation, make sure that there will be plenty of room for those working on your new roof. It will take them longer to install the roof if you have unnecessary objects in the way. Also, ensure your internet is working and that it is easily accessible.
- Will I have power in the evening? Have no fear. During installation, your new eco-friendly roof becomes compatible with your home’s electric grid. After the sun goes down, the electric grid turns on, and that’s when your home will use power as it would without the solar roof.
- Does installation take a long time? Installation is typically a one day process. The installation process also depends on how large the area of your roof is and how complicated it is built.
- How much does it cost? Tesla charges a little over $2 per watt. In square feet, the price is about $22. Add taxes to this price and also the cost of manual labor. There are various ways to pay for the roof, including cash and loans.
- What happens if the power goes out? This is when the Powerwall part of Tesla’s solar roof becomes helpful. Powerwall uses the energy it has banked and puts it to use until your power has been restored.
Tesla’s Solar Roof Compared to Solar Panels
You might be wondering what the differences between the Tesla solar roof are in comparison to other brands of solar panels out there. Although there may not seem to be many differences at first, there are a few that you need to be aware of before making your roofing decisions.
- Tesla’s Solar Roof is both a roof and panels. Think of it as a two-step process instead of one. When you purchase Tesla’s solar roof system, you are purchasing a brand new roof along with the solar panels that lay on top of the roof.
- Tesla’s Solar Roof is higher than the average solar panel. The price varies, but on average, you will pay about $4000 more for Tesla’s solar system versus adding only solar panels.
- A Powerwall is included with Tesla. A Tesla Powerwall allows you to use saved solar energy during the night time and evening hours, as long as you did not use it during the day. Think of it as a bank for energy and that you can spend whatever daytime energy you did not use. This will ultimately save you money!
Why Should I Have a Solar Roof?
You may have heard about solar-powered roofs and other solar-powered items and how amazing they are. It seems to be all that is trendy right now. If you don’t know the benefits of a solar roof, here are just a few of the many examples.
- Durability. The sturdiness of Tesla’s solar roof is immaculate. They have a warranty for up to 25 years in total.
- You help the economy. There are a million and one ways to help the economy, but one way is by purchasing the solar roof. The energy you are using will be coming from the sun instead of harmful emissions and gas that can come from non-solar powered places. Recycling is still an easy option, but this can be a great option as well.
- It can save you money. Seeing an electricity bill can sometimes knock you off your feet. As inflation continues to exist, prices in power and energy will increase. The Tesla website states that there is usually around a 3% rise in prices every year. When you use solar energy, you are on a fixed rate, and nothing changes, which gives you the freedom to have a steady and unwavering budget for other things.
Aesthetic of the Solar Roof
When you first consider installing a solar roof, you may have been picturing a roof that looks like it belongs in the very distant future. You may have an image of a Star Wars home or something you would see in The Jetsons.
No matter if the galactic look appeals to you or not, Tesla’s solar roofs do not appear out of the ordinary compared to a non-solar powered roof. You can order panels for the roof that are solid black and are not considered bulky.
The Tesla App
So you have completely installed your solar roof. Excellent! The last installation process will be installing the Tesla app on your phone. It is supported on both iPhones and Androids and will allow you to control many different aspects of your Tesla product with your fingertips.
Some features of the Tesla app include
- Limiting the amount of energy you use
- Sharing your new product(s) with friends and family
- See a visual representation of how much energy you are using
- View your Powerwall energy
Is the Solar Roof Worth It?
This answer depends on what you are interested in getting out of a solar roof. If you would like to be more eco-friendly but do not need to replace your entire roof, then getting Tesla’s solar roof may not be your best option.
If you find yourself in the circumstance where you have some money to spare, and you also want to receive a modern looking home, then Tesla’s solar roof could be a wonderful option.
So the process for getting a Tesla Roof installed starts with placing your online and waiting for the install team to arrive at your house. Once the roof is installed it is as easy and installing the app and learning the ropes of your new roof!